Diocesan Catholic Charities timeline

Catholic Courier    |    09.14.2010
Category: Catholic Charities 100th Anniversary

1910

 

Bishop Thomas F. Hickey plans collection to fund Catholic-sponsored charities in the diocese

1912

Catholic Charities Guild established

1914

Relief Department initiated under Father Jacob Staub

1915

Kathleen d’Olier hired as first social worker

1917

Bishop Thomas F. Hickey leads cause to pass N.Y. Charities Aid Law and Rochester Catholic Charities Aid Association incorporated

Charles Settlement House established

First deficit financial drive held with $50,000 goal, $70,000 raised

Relief department included in new Rochester Catholic Charities Aid Association

1918

Rochester Catholic Charities Aid Association joins Patriotic and Community Fund (Community Chest)

1924

Rochester Catholic Charities Aid Association changes name to Rochester Catholic Charities

Catholic Charities joins Council of Social Agencies, now the Planning, Evaluation and Allocation Division of United Way

Genesee Settlement House established

1926

Camp Stella Maris founded by St. Bernard’s seminarians Gerry Lambert and Eugene Hudson

1930

Father Walter Foery is first Catholic Charities diocesan director

Elmira Catholic Family Center established

1934

Catholic Charities established separate casework division

1935

Columbus Youth Association (now Catholic Youth Organization) established

1937

Camp Columbus established by Father Frederich Straub on Owasco Lake

1941

St. Joseph’s Villa established

1950

Name of Catholic Charities’ casework agency changed to Catholic Family Center

1958

DePaul Clinic established

1967

Bishop Fulton Sheen establishes position of urban vicar and secular missionaries to directly serve the poor

1977

Office of Social Ministry created by Bishop Joseph L. Hogan, who appoints Charles Mulligan as director

Catholic Charities’ trustees approve agency’s basic values

1978

Kinship Group Homes incorporated

"Catholic Charities of the Future" approved by board of trustees

1979

Bishop Matthew H. Clark accepts "Catholic Charities of the Future" report

1980

Catholic Charities hosts 66th-annual meeting of the National Conference of Catholic Charities

"Catholic Charities of the Future" step 1: organizing Southern Tier Office of Social Ministry

Father Neil Miller becomes Southern Tier Office of Social Ministry’s director

Catholic Charities Community and Residential Services opens Lyons Community Residence for recently deinstitutionalized people

1981

Food Bank of the Southern Tier established

1982

New York State Council of Catholic Charities Directors conducts first convening

"Catholic Charities of the Future" step 2: organizing Finger Lakes Office of Social Ministry

Giovina Caroscio becomes Finger Lakes Office of Social Ministry’s executive director

1985

"Catholic Charities of the Future" step 3: Genesee Valley Office of Social Ministry becomes third regional office

Father John Firpo appointed diocesan director

Catholic Charities adopts decentralized system of governance

Anthony Barbaro appointed executive director of Catholic Charities of the Southern Tier

1988

CYO and Genesee Valley Office of Social Ministry merge with CFC

1989

Carolyn Portanova appointed executive director of the "new" CFC

CFC opens Women’s Place

Judy Taylor coordinates Campaign for Human Development and Catholic Relief Services activities in the diocese

1990

CCCRS’ AIDS Services opens Mary’s House

1991

Father Firpo resigns as diocesan director; Paul Pickering is interim director

CFC opens Francis Center

1992

Jack Balinsky appointed diocesan director

CCCRS becomes a separate regional entity

Catholic Charities takes lead role in creating Diocesan Public Policy Committee

1993

CFC opens residential drug-treatment facilities, Freedom House and Hannick Hall

1994

Providence Housing Development Corp. established; Maggie Bringewatt named executive director

1995

Sharing the Light award and dinner established by Finger Lakes Catholic Charities

Suzanne Schnittman hired as diocesan consistent life ethic coordinator

Catholic Charities of Livingston County established; Richard Merges is executive director

1996

CFC launches Rochester Women’s Bean Project, now Healthy Sisters’ Soup and Bean Works

Tim McMahon becomes second director of Catholic Charities of Livingston County

1997

CCCRS’ Traumatic Brain Injury Services begins offering life skills training services

AIDS Services is lead agency in S.O.A.R. Project, a recreation and summer camp for children affected by HIV/AIDS

Catholic Charities of the Southern Tier establishes county offices in Steuben and Tompkins

Schuyler County domestic-violence program created; paves way for county office there

Catholic Charities of Livingston County moves to larger headquarters in Mount Morris

1998

Traumatic Brain Injury Services offers service coordination, home and community support services

CFC is a founding member/lead agency for RecoveryNet

Paul Hesler becomes Food Bank of the Southern Tier’s executive director

Sister Janet Korn hired as diocesan social-justice awareness coordinator

1999

Catholic Charities hosts Catholic Charities USA’s annual meeting; Archbishop Desmond Tutu is the keynote speaker

Catholic Charities creates the Bishop Matthew H. Clark Award; bishop is first recipient

Traumatic Brain Injury Services offers intensive behavioral programming, community integration counseling services

CFC launches its Ways to Work Loan and Welfare to Work programs

2000

CCCRS changes name to Catholic Charities Community Services

Jann Armantrout becomes diocesan life-issues coordinator

Father James Hewes advocates for establishment of Catholic Charities of Wayne County

Project Unity created

Kinship Youth and Family Services becomes special-purpose Catholic Charities agency

Ruth Putnam Marchetti hired as coordinator of Works of Love program

2001

Turning Point program in Steuben County moves to Liberty Street in Bath

2002

CFC moves headquarters to 87 N. Clinton Ave., Rochester

CFC opens Sanctuary House, an emergency shelter for homeless women and women with children

Providence builds St. Andrew’s House for the developmentally disabled on diocesan Pastoral Center campus

2003

Giovina Caroscio resigns as executive director of Catholic Charities of the Finger Lakes after 21 years of leadership

Catholic Charities of the Southern Tier reorganizes into four subsidiaries

Catholic Charities of Chemung/Schuyler Counties established

Catholic Charities of Steuben County established

Catholic Charities of Tompkins/Tioga Counties established

Food Bank of the Southern Tier becomes Catholic Charities subsidiary

Anthony Barbaro becomes associate diocesan director of Catholic Charities

2004

Catholic Charities of Wayne County established; Loretta Kruger becomes executive director

Joseph DiMino becomes Catholic Charities of Livingston County’s executive director

2005

Maggie Bringewatt retires from Providence; Monica McCullough becomes executive director

La Casa, a migrant-housing center in Sodus, opens

2007

Jann Armantrout wins Leo Holmsten Human Life Award

Ellen Wayne becomes executive director of Catholic Charities of the Finger Lakes

2008

Deacon Timothy Sullivan becomes Catholic Charities of Wayne County’s executive director

2010

Carlos Garcia becomes Catholic Charities of Livingston County’s executive director

Copyright © 2010 Catholic Courier, Inc. All rights reserved. Linking is encouraged, but republishing or redistributing, including by framing or similar means, without the publisher's prior written permission is prohibited.