Thirteen men are currently preparing for priestly service in the Diocese of Rochester.
Deacons Anthony Amato, Juan Benitez and Michael Merritt will be ordained on June 3. Deacon Amato, from Our Mother of Sorrows Parish in Greece, is completing his final year at Theological College in Washington, D.C.; Deacon Merritt, from St. Benedict Parish in Ontario County, is finishing studies at St. Mary’s Seminary and University in Baltimore; and Deacon Benitez, a native of Medellin, Colombia, completed studies at St. Mary’s in December.
Jeffrey Chichester will be ordained a transitional deacon May 27. The native of St. Luke in Livingston County has one year to go at Theological College.
Others in priestly formation are:
• Aaron Kelly, St. Mary Our Mother, Horseheads — college seminarian at Theological College.
• Benjamin Knopf, St. Benedict, Ontario County — seminarian, St. John’s Seminary, Boston.
• Steven Lewis, St. Kateri Tekakwitha, Irondequoit — seminarian, St. John’s Seminary.
• Joseph Martuscello, Ss. Isidore and Maria Torribia, Steuben County — seminarian, St. John’s Seminary.
• Joseph Maurici, St. Mary of the Assumption, Scottsville — pre-theologian, St. John’s Seminary.
• Jeffrey Maciejewski, Our Lady of the Lakes, Yates County — pre-theologian, St. John’s Seminary.
• Gregory Sheffield, Christ the Redeemer, Elmira — pre-theologian, St. John’s Seminary.
• Matthew Walter, Our Lady of Victory/St. Joseph, Rochester — seminarian, St. John’s Seminary.
• Daniel White, St. Patrick, Owego — seminarian, St. John’s Seminary.
According to Carol Dady, coordinator of vocations and seminarians in the diocesan Department of Clergy Services, three more men are expected to begin priestly formation for the diocese in the fall of 2017.